History Waterford Crystal
Only minutes from House of Waterford Crystal today, the company of Waterford was first established in 1783 in the heart of Irish harbor town of Waterford. Founded by William and George Penrose, the brother's vision was to create the highest quality crystal barware, home decor and tabletop gifts of unsurpassed beauty and quality.
The First Glass Making Factory:The company's first glass making factory opened in 1783, and immediately the company's crystal became recognized for its clearness of quality and pureness of color.
Post World War II Resurgence:Economic events from the great Irish famine between 1845 and 1849 as thousands of Irish left their home land in a mass migration. By1853, due to the lack of capital, the company's plant had to close.
In 1947 Kael Bacik glass maker hired Miroslav Havel as Chief Design, and Havel incorporated the traditional Penrose brother's crystal cutting patterns, including the famous and popular Lismore, in their operations that has been made famous by Waterford artisans today.
Today Waterford shares the dedication to the crystal purity of color with the highest levels of quality that has made Waterford famous as the company expanded their portfolio to include stemware & barware, picture frames, china, flatware, vases, bowls, centerpieces, lamps & fixtures, holiday and wedding / anniversary gifts.